Friday, May 23, 2008

Me on a Diet

For the past two weeks, I started to become a bit too happy with myself. As you, constant reader, probably know, I need some negativity for motivation. I NEED to feel lumpy and overweight so I can convince myself NOT to eat the pie in the fridge. This unsolicited happiness is the result of my trip to the doctor where I found out I had lost 10 lbs, and seeing friends and family whom I hadn't seen since the winter when I was still carrying the extra weight. Many have noticed my successes, including "sort of strangers". I look better, I feel better, and....I realize that I am losing interest in the diet.
HOWEVER - I still haven't met my goal of being within the normal weight range for my height. What to do? The answer: a book. I may have neglected to mention this, but I was originally inspired by a book called "You: On a Diet" which stressed that the body's reaction to fewer calories and more exercise will vary from person to person. It encouraged me to adopt my current philosophy: "Do the best you can with what you got." I knew at the time that I was not doing the best I could due to the lack of gym time, and the unabashed consumption of free brownies whenever they presented themselves.
Today, I actually bought two books on a very extra long walk to the bookstore. One was geared towards college students and written by the daughter of the "You" book, so I bought it for my sister (who, duh!, is in college). Knowing I will see her in a few weeks time, I decided to read this one quickly before I give it to her. Hopefully, it gives me the motivation I am looking for...

No comments: