Sunday, August 21, 2011

I Fought the Yard and the Yard Won

I dismantled my garden.

Let me back up.  Last year, when we moved into this house, I was excited to plant a garden.  I had a caveat - it would be on MY TERMS, and RELAXING.  It would not be the loads of work I remembered from my childhood.  Many a summer was spent picking things - peas, beans, more peas, lima beans, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, peaches, cherries, plums, apples.  Freezing things - broccoli, beans, corn, peas, peppers.  Canning things - peach jelly, blackberry jelly, blueberry jelly, plums, tomatoes, applesauce. 

I did not want this.

I wanted a peaceful garden, like this one:

"What is paradise, but, a garden, an orchard of trees and herbs, full of pleasure and nothing there but delights."...William Lawson

I wanted a wonderful hobby, like this guy had:

"No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden."-- Thomas Jefferson

Probably, I should have listened to this guy:

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration."...Lou Erictson

I did accomplish significant abundance compared to last year:

Strawberries in 2010: 0.
Strawberries in 2011: 2.

Peppers in 2010: 0.
Peppers in 2011: 8.

Additional crops in 2010:  0.
Additional crops in 2011: 0.

At this rate, I may be able to make a pie when I am 60.  But, the deer and slugs are well fed.

Sometimes, I have to try things before I realize that I hate them.  Case in point - I willingly stood in line for that "Free Fall" ride at Cedars Point.  You know, its the one where they lift a carload of people to the top of a tall tower, and then drop them?  That one?  I did not realize that I was ABSOLUTELY terrified of the ride until we got to the top, just before the loud screechy noise that signified the brakes had been released.  I have NEVER screamed like that, EVER.

Case #2 - I climbed all the way up to the top of the 10 meter platform at Penn State pool when they let us try it one day.  I looked down at that water, 30 feet below, and only then did I realize, I was scared sh*tless.  I unceremoniously climbed back down.

I bought a slew of art supplies and drawing pads before I realized that I do not enjoy making art.  I have canning supplies in the basement, but no longer desire to can things.  And now, I have a plot of land that is being overrun by grass with absolutely no effort, despite hours of time spent trying to kill the grass.  

Do I regret doing these things?  Not at all.  How else will I know I hate something, unless I try it?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the score board!

What we learn the hard way we have a tendency to NEVER forget.

However, I would have known NOT TO GET ON THE FREE FALL RIDE! What were you thinking?......kt